Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Art


Helena has become an artist.  In the last several months, she has come to love painting, drawing, crayons... Anything that can make marks on paper and on herself.  I won't say much as an art critic in this post, but I rather like two of her most recent posts.

Before Helena drew the picture on the left,  she said "coruja," or owl, and there is something strikingly owl-like in the piece.  I drew the left eye to bring out the face, but the rest of it is all hers.

Then, today, when she wanted to show the drawing to her aunt over Skype, I asked her again what it was.  "Coruja."  She remembers very well what she has drawn.

The second artwork doesn't seem to be representational; at least Helena won't tell me if it is a portrait of anything.  But I like the use of color and space.  She seems to have a talent for art that I never had.

Picasso famously said that "I spent my entire career trying to learn how to paint like a child."  There may be something to it...


 The portrait of Helena is by my brother.  For more of his work, http://www.wildimagephoto.com/journal/

1 comment: